Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sonnet 1 - Sir Philip Sidney

In this sonnet, the narrator describes the uselessness of study and mental dedication in his attempts to write romantic poetry for his lady love.  Instead, he says, he must simply write from the heart.  The irony -- doubtless intentional -- is that not only is Sidney the quintessential artist in his sonnets, which are polished to perfection, but he also employs logic extensively in service of his point!

Astrophil and Stella: Sonnet 1

Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show,
That the dear she might take some pleasure of my pain,
Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know,
Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain,
I sought fit words to paint the blackest face of woe:
Studying inventions fine, her wits to entertain,
Oft turning others' leaves, to see if thence would flow
Some fresh and fruitful showers upon my sunburned brain.
But words came halting forth, wanting Invention's stay;
Invention, Nature's child, fled stepdame Study's blows;
And others' feet still seemed but strangers in my way.
Thus, great with child to speak, and helpless in my throes,
Biting my truant pen, beating myself for spite:
"Fool," said my Muse to me, "look in thy heart, and write."

No comments:

Post a Comment