Friday, February 18, 2011

The Search - George Herbert

I really like Herbert when he's writing this sort of honest, soul-baring prayer-poetry.  I appreciate his honesty about his struggles and the depth of his faith.

The Search


Whither, O whither art Thou fled,
                              My Lord, my Love?
My searches are my daily bread,
                              Yet never prove.

My knees pierce the earth, mine eyes the sky;
                              And yet the sphere
And center both to me deny
                              That Thou art there.

Yet can I mark how herbs below
                              Grow green and gay,
As if to meet Thee they did know,
                              While I decay.

Yet can I mark how stars above
                              Simper and shine,
As having keys unto Thy love,
                              While poor I pine.

I sent a sigh to seek Thee out,
                              Deep drawn in pain,
Winged like an arrow; but my scout
                              Returns in vain.

I turned another – having store –
                              Into a groan,
Because the search was dumb before;
                              But all was one.

Lord, dost Thou some new fabric mold
                              Which favor wins,
And keeps Thee present, leaving the old
                              Unto their sins?

Where is my God? What hidden place
                              Conceals Thee still?
What covert dare eclipse Thy face?
                              Is it Thy will?

O let not that of anything;
                              Let rather brass,
Or steel, or mountains by Thy ring
                              And I will pass.

Thy will such an entrenching is,
                              As passeth thought:
To it all strength, all subtleties
                              Are things of naught.

Thy will such a strange distance is,
                              As that to it
East and West touch, the poles do kiss,
                              And parallels meet.

Since then my grief must be as large
                              As is Thy space,
Thy distance from me; see my charge,
                              Lord, see my case.

O take these bars, these lengths, away;
                              Turn, and restore me:
“Be not Almighty,” let me say,
                              “Against, but for me.”

When Thou dost turn, and wilt be near,
                              What edge so keen,
What point so piercing can appear
                              To come between?

For as Thy absence doth excel
                              All distance known,
So doth Thy nearness bear the bell,
                              Making two one.

No comments:

Post a Comment