Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Wayfarers - Rupert Brooke

This poem is dark and rather depressing...in its ending, devoid of hope save in the beloved, it reminds me of "Dover Beach" (to which we'll return later!).  I'll have to classify it alongside "Dover Beach" and many other poems which I find powerful and effective, though I myself do have hope!

The Wayfarers

Is it the hour? We leave this resting-place
Made fair by one another for a while.
Now, for a god-speed, one last mad embrace;
The long road then, unlit by your faint smile.
Ah! the long road! and you so far away!
Oh, I'll remember! but . . . each crawling day
Will pale a little your scarlet lips, each mile
Dull the dear pain of your remembered face.
. . . Do you think there's a far border town, somewhere,
The desert's edge, last of the lands we know,
Some gaunt eventual limit of our light,
In which I'll find you waiting; and we'll go
Together, hand in hand again, out there,
Into the waste we know not, into the night?

No comments:

Post a Comment