Friday, June 24, 2011

Jonah's Song [from Moby-Dick] - Herman Melville

Jonah's Song [from Moby-Dick]

The ribs and terrors in the whale,
    Arched over me a dismal gloom,
While all God’s sun-lit waves rolled by,
    And lift me deepening down to doom.

I saw the opening maw of hell,
    With endless pains and sorrows there;
Which none but they that feel can tell–
    Oh, I was plunging to despair.

In black distress, I called my God,
    When I could scarce believe him mine,
He bowed his ear to my complaints–
    No more the whale did me confine.

With speed he flew to my relief,
    As on a radiant dolphin borne;
Awful, yet bright, as lightning shone
    The face of my Deliverer God.

My song for ever shall record
    That terrible, that joyful hour;
I give the glory to my God,
    His all the mercy and the power.

No comments:

Post a Comment