Monday, April 18, 2011

Redemption - George Herbert

This being Holy Week, I'm going to be posting some themed poems.  Enjoy!

Redemption

Having been tenant long to a rich Lord,
    Not thriving, I resolvèd to be bold,
And make a suit unto him to afford
    A new small-rented lease and cancel th'old.
In Heaven at his manor I him sought.
    They told me there that he was lately gone
About some land which he had dearly bought
    Long since on earth, to take possession,
I straight returned, and knowing his great birth,
    Sought him accordingly in great resorts,
    In cities, theaters, gardens, parks, and courts.
At length I heard a ragged noise and mirth
    Of thieves and murderers; there I him espied,
    Who straight "Your suit is granted," said, and died.

No comments:

Post a Comment